Descriptions of services and activities at the Lake Shrine Temple
Visiting hours and temple tour information
“Come into the silence of solitude, and the vibration there will talk to you through the voice of God”
— Paramahansa Yogananda
About the Lake Shrine
The Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine was dedicated by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1950.
Many thousands of visitors come each year to enjoy the scenic beauty and serenity of this spiritual sanctuary. The ten-acre site, with its gardens and natural spring-fed lake, is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including swans, ducks, koi, and trees and flowers from around the world.
The grounds include a Court of Religions honoring the five principal religions of the world, the Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial where a portion of Gandhi's ashes is enshrined, a museum with exhibits on Paramahansa Yogananda's work, and a gift shop with arts and crafts from India. The temple itself is on a hilltop overlooking the lake.
News & Inspiration
- On February 6, we welcome you to join us in a guided meditation and reap the benefits of a longer group meditation from 10 AM – 2 PM in our Temple. Whether or not you have attended a long meditation before, please reviewRead More »
- Do not leave anybody out of your love. Keep everyone in your heart, and they will keep you in theirs. – Paramahansa YoganandaRead More »
Lake Shrine Access
As we start moving into the rainy season and possible El Nino weather, hazardous conditions may develop along the Lake path. If you are planning to visit please call 310 454-4114 before traveling, as a change in access or complete closure may have occurred.
Saturday, February 13th
Due to Christenings and a Memorial on Saturday, February 13th the Windmill Chapel will be closed all-day. The Windmill Chapel will re-open on Sunday, February 14th from 12:00 noon - 4:00pm.
- Due to Christenings and a Memorial on Saturday, February 13th the Windmill Chapel will be closed all day. The Windmill Chapel will re-open on Sunday, February 14th from 12:00 noon – 4:00pm.Read More »
- Weekly announcements as read at Sunday services.Read More »
- The Temple and Temple parking lot will be closed Tuesday through Saturday. (Lake Grounds will remain open). Exceptions to this closure will be the 7:15 am meditations (Tuesday through Friday), and when ceremonies are scheduled. Friday and Sunday afternoon Temple Tours.Read More »
- Would you like to stay informed about upcoming Lake Shrine events, activities, and special retreats? Please use the link below to sign up for the “Around the Lake” Newsletter. Sign Up for Our NewsletterRead More »