Descriptions of services and activities at the Lake Shrine Temple
Visiting hours and temple tour information
“Come into the silence of solitude, and the vibration there will talk to you through the voice of God”
— Paramahansa Yogananda
About the Lake Shrine
The Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine was dedicated by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1950.
Many thousands of visitors come each year to enjoy the scenic beauty and serenity of this spiritual sanctuary. The ten-acre site, with its gardens and natural spring-fed lake, is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including swans, ducks, koi, and trees and flowers from around the world.
The grounds include a Court of Religions honoring the five principal religions of the world, the Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial where a portion of Gandhi's ashes is enshrined, a museum with exhibits on Paramahansa Yogananda's work, and a gift shop with arts and crafts from India. The temple itself is on a hilltop overlooking the lake.
News & Inspiration
- We are pleased to share a short video about the recent restoration and earthquake retrofit of the Windmill Chapel at the Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine.Read More »
- Any time you become fascinated by some material creation close your eyes, look within and contemplate its Source. – Paramahansa YoganandaRead More »
- Please note due to events at the Lake level, parking will be restricted from 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. Unlimited parking is available on Palisades Drive just a couple of hundred meters from the Lake Shrine.Read More »
- On Saturday, July 23, we welcome you to join us in a guided meditation and reap the benefits of a longer group meditation from 10 AM – 2 PM in our Temple. Whether or not you have attended a long meditation before, pleaseRead More »
- A service honoring Mahavatar Babaji will be held on Monday, July 25th at 8:00 pm in the Temple. Those with an appreciation of the Guru-disciple relationship are invited to attend. Please bring a flower as a symbol of your devotion,Read More »
- Weekly announcements as read at Sunday services.Read More »
- The Temple and Temple parking lot will be closed Tuesday through Saturday. (Lake Grounds will remain open). Exceptions to this closure will be the 7:15 am meditations (Tuesday through Friday), and when ceremonies are scheduled. Friday and Sunday afternoon Temple Tours.Read More »