Descriptions of services and activities at the Lake Shrine Temple
Visiting hours and temple tour information
“Come into the silence of solitude, and the vibration there will talk to you through the voice of God”
— Paramahansa Yogananda
About the Lake Shrine
The Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine was dedicated by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1950.
Many thousands of visitors come each year to enjoy the scenic beauty and serenity of this spiritual sanctuary. The ten-acre site, with its gardens and natural spring-fed lake, is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including swans, ducks, koi, and trees and flowers from around the world.
The grounds include a Court of Religions honoring the five principal religions of the world, the Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial where a portion of Gandhi's ashes is enshrined, a museum with exhibits on Paramahansa Yogananda's work, and a gift shop with arts and crafts from India. The temple itself is on a hilltop overlooking the lake.
News & Inspiration
- We are pleased to share a short video about the recent restoration and earthquake retrofit of the Windmill Chapel at the Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine.Read More »
- When the mud of your restless thoughts begins to settle, the power of God begins to reflect in the clear waters of your consciousness. – Paramahansa YoganandaRead More »
- Mysteries of Ancient India: Bhajan Kirtan, Banquet and Classical Indian Dance Join us on Saturday, September 17th, for Lake Shrine’s annual India Night as we discover the Mysteries of Ancient India. The gates will open at 5:45 p.m. As guestsRead More »
- To honor the United Nations International Day of Peace on September 21, Lake Shrine is offering a “World Peace Sunday” on September 18. Morning services will feature teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda themed on world peace, an opportunity to offer prayersRead More »
- Lahiri Mahasaya Mahasamadhi Commemorative Service: A service honoring the Mahasamadhi of Lahiri Mahasaya will be held on Monday, September 26th at 8:00 pm in the Temple. A service honoring the birthday of Lahiri Mahasaya will be held on Friday, SeptemberRead More »
- Weekly announcements as read at Sunday services.Read More »
- The Temple and Temple parking lot will be closed Tuesday through Saturday. (Lake Grounds will remain open). Exceptions to this closure will be the 7:15 am meditations (Tuesday through Friday), and when ceremonies are scheduled. Friday and Sunday afternoon Temple Tours.Read More »