Descriptions of services and activities at the Lake Shrine Temple
Visiting hours and temple tour information
“Come into the silence of solitude, and the vibration there will talk to you through the voice of God”
— Paramahansa Yogananda
About the Lake Shrine
The Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine was dedicated by Paramahansa Yogananda in 1950.
Many thousands of visitors come each year to enjoy the scenic beauty and serenity of this spiritual sanctuary. The ten-acre site, with its gardens and natural spring-fed lake, is home to a variety of flora and fauna, including swans, ducks, koi, and trees and flowers from around the world.
The grounds include a Court of Religions honoring the five principal religions of the world, the Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial where a portion of Gandhi's ashes is enshrined, a museum with exhibits on Paramahansa Yogananda's work, and a gift shop with arts and crafts from India. The temple itself is on a hilltop overlooking the lake.
News & Inspiration
- We are pleased to share a short video about the recent restoration and earthquake retrofit of the Windmill Chapel at the Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine.Read More »
- Any time you become fascinated by some material creation close your eyes, look within and contemplate its Source. – Paramahansa YoganandaRead More »
- Weekly announcements as read at Sunday services.Read More »
- The Temple and Temple parking lot will be closed Tuesday through Saturday. (Lake Grounds will remain open). Exceptions to this closure will be the 7:15 am meditations (Tuesday through Friday), and when ceremonies are scheduled. Friday and Sunday afternoon Temple Tours.Read More »
- Would you like to stay informed about upcoming Lake Shrine events, activities, and special retreats? Please use the link below to sign up for the “Around the Lake” Newsletter. Sign Up for Our NewsletterRead More »